Tiny Home on Foundation (THOF) as Permanent Dwelling Units

Golden (City), Colorado


Name Tiny Home on Foundation (THOF) as Permanent Dwelling Units
Municipality Golden (City)
Zoning Districts Residential R1, R2, R3 or PUD
Effective Date 09/01/2016
Municipal Code Not Found
Code Link http://Not Found/
Authority Planning Department


A “Tiny Home” is a descriptive term, rather than an official class of construction. Whether it is a home on wheels or simply a small house, Tiny Homes in Golden are regulated depending on their use and the amenities they provide.  Most often, we hear of mobile Tiny Homes, those built on a trailer deck with wheels that fall under the RV classification.  Read about the differences, here: Tiny Homes in Golden

What do I need to live in a Tiny Home in Golden?
1. A residentially zoned lot (R1, R2, R3, or PUD)
2. A foundation permanently attached to the ground and protected to a 36” frost depth.
3. A minimum 70 square feet; 7’ minimum in any horizontal dimension of a room and a minimum 6’8” ceiling.
4. Includes independent living quarters that provide sleeping, eating, cooking, and sanitation amenities.
5. A toilet and either a shower or tub, connected to City of Golden water and sewer service.
6. Water & sewer tap fees
7. A roof structure meeting wind and snow load requirements of 116 mph at 3 second gusts and exposure C.
8. A City of Golden building permit

How can I move my tiny home to different areas? Mobility often means a RV classification and as such, RVs are limited to locations that allow them, such as RV or mobile home parks.

What if I don’t want to connect to permanent utilities? Whether for reasons of expense or physical limitations, Tiny Homes without connections to permanent water and sewer lines in the city of Golden are only allowed in one of the existing RV parks zoned for temporary residential uses.

Key Contacts

Planning Department
1445 105h Street
Golden, CO  80401
(303) 384-8097


Source: https://www.cityofgolden.net/

Updated:  February 2021 – Loran

THIA will be constantly updating the legislation data. Check back often. Suggest A Correction if you are aware of any missing or incorrect information. AND keep scrolling to learn more about getting guidance.



Building Code — Legislation that speaks to how to construct a tiny house.

Zoning Code — Legislation that speaks to how the lot will be used.


ADU — Accessory Dwelling Unit

DMV — Division of Motor Vehicles

IB — Industrialized Buildings

IRC — International Residential Code

PUD — Planned Unit Development

RV — Recreational Vehicle

SF — Single Family Dwelling

T — Transitional Housing

UDO — Unified Development Ordinance

Please Suggest a Correction if you find broken links or misinformation.

Help us continue helping you. Join the Movement and become a THIA Member today!

Scroll to Top