Tiny Home on Foundation (THOF) as ADUs

Glenwood Springs (City), Colorado


Name Tiny Home on Foundation (THOF) as ADUs
Municipality Glenwood Springs (City)
Zoning Districts Most Residential Zone Districts
Effective Date 10/26/2021
Municipal Code Title 070: Development Code; Section 070.030.040 - Accessory Uses and Structures
Code Link https://library.municode.com/co/glenwood_springs/codes/municipal_code?nodeId=TIT070DECO_ART070.030USRE_070.030.040ACUSST
Authority Community Development Department


An Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) is a separate, complete dwelling unit that is for-rent and that is contained within a single family home or in a detached building on the same property. 

An ADU is allowed in most of the City’s residential zone districts as long as the unit meets certain requirements, some of which include:

  • The unit is not less than 300 square feet and not more than 1,000 square feet AND it does not exceed 55% of the floor area of the primary dwelling.
  • The unit, if detached, is compatible with the primary dwelling.
  • There is 1 off-street parking space provided on site for each bedroom in the unit.
  • The unit complies with Building Code requirements.
  • The unit complies with all setback and height requirements of the zone district in which it is located.

For more information about ADUs consult the Accessory Dwelling Unit Guide.  It is very thorough.  Although the code does not specifically mention tiny homes, the City is encouraging tiny homes on foundations that are no less than 300 square feet, and ADUs receives a break on system improvement fees.

If you are interested in constructing an ADU you are first required to submit an ADU application and an application for a building permit.

Need More Info?

For more information about ADUs consult the Accessory Dwelling Unit Guide.   

Key Contacts

Community Development Department
City Hall
101 W. 8th Street
Glenwood Springs, CO  81601
(970) 384-6400


Source: https://www.ci.glenwood-springs.co.us/

Updated:  March 2021 – Loran

THIA will be constantly updating the legislation data. Check back often. Suggest A Correction if you are aware of any missing or incorrect information. AND keep scrolling to learn more about getting guidance.



Building Code — Legislation that speaks to how to construct a tiny house.

Zoning Code — Legislation that speaks to how the lot will be used.


ADU — Accessory Dwelling Unit

DMV — Division of Motor Vehicles

IB — Industrialized Buildings

IRC — International Residential Code

PUD — Planned Unit Development

RV — Recreational Vehicle

SF — Single Family Dwelling

T — Transitional Housing

UDO — Unified Development Ordinance

Please Suggest a Correction if you find broken links or misinformation.

Help us continue helping you. Join the Movement and become a THIA Member today!

Scroll to Top