Residential Industrialized (Modular) Tiny Homes – GA Industrialized Buildings Program

Statewide, Georgia


Name Residential Industrialized (Modular) Tiny Homes – GA Industrialized Buildings Program
Municipality Statewide
Zoning Districts Residential
Effective Date 07/01/2018
Municipal Code
Code Link
Authority GA


A residential industrialized (modular) building is defined as a dwelling unit designed and constructed to comply with the George State Residential Code and is fabricated or assembled wholly or in part in a manufacturing facility and cannot be inspected at the installation with.  They cannot contain a permanent metal chassis and shall be affixed to permanent load-bearing foundation.  Residential industrialized (modular) buildings are built to the same code requirements as stick-built homes.  Every industrialized building (IB) is fully inspected during the open construction phase in the factory by independent third-party agencies.  Upon completion, a DCA insignia is affixed to each module or unit which certifies it complies with the state’s construction codes and rules for its intended application and use.  However, local governments retain full control over all matters relating to a building’s installation at a site, including subdivision controls, zoning issues, site grading, foundation installations and utility hook-ups.

An IB tiny house is defined as: A residential industrialized building dwelling unit that is 400 square feet or less in floor area excluding lofts. Authority O.C.G.A. 8-2-113

Mustard Seed Tiny Homes is an approved IB builder in GA.

Need More Info?

GA Tiny House Fact Sheet

IB Manufactures in GA – As of 3/22/2021

Key Contacts

GA Dept of Community Affairs Building Code Division
Office of Construction Codes & Industrialized Buildings
60 Executive Park South, N.E.
Atlanta, GA 30329-2231

Other Contact Info:



Updated:  Loran – February 2021

THIA will be constantly updating the legislation data. Check back often. Suggest A Correction if you are aware of any missing or incorrect information. AND keep scrolling to learn more about getting guidance.



Building Code — Legislation that speaks to how to construct a tiny house.

Zoning Code — Legislation that speaks to how the lot will be used.


ADU — Accessory Dwelling Unit

DMV — Division of Motor Vehicles

IB — Industrialized Buildings

IRC — International Residential Code

PUD — Planned Unit Development

RV — Recreational Vehicle

SF — Single Family Dwelling

T — Transitional Housing

UDO — Unified Development Ordinance

Please Suggest a Correction if you find broken links or misinformation.

Help us continue helping you. Join the Movement and become a THIA Member today!

Scroll to Top