Tiny Home on Foundation (THOF) as Permanent Dwelling Units

Routt (County), Colorado


Name Tiny Home on Foundation (THOF) as Permanent Dwelling Units
Municipality Routt (County)
Zoning Districts All Zoning Districts - Permitted by Right
Effective Date 01/29/0019
Municipal Code Section 4: Zone Districts and Allowable Uses
Code Link https://www.co.routt.co.us/DocumentCenter/View/145/Zoning-Regulations?bidId=
Authority Planning Department / Building Department


A tiny home must be built on a permanent foundation and permitted and inspected by the Routt County Planning Department (RCPD).  For more information, read Can I have a tiny home on my property?

Manufactured or HUD Homes and Factory Built Housing: The Colorado Department of Local Affairs through the Division of Housing regulates and certifies all manufactured and factory-built housing. Please contact the State Division of Housing for further information on all manufactured or factory-built homes prior to purchasing any homes to make sure they are pre-approved by the State of Colorado.

A manufactured house is allowed to be put on a block and tie-down foundation, or a permanent frost protected foundation. If a block and tie-down foundation is used, then it must be in accordance with the State Division of Housing’s installation manual. If a permanent foundation is being used, the foundation will need to be designed by a Colorado licensed design professional or in accordance with our adopted Building Codes. Building Permits are required for all Manufactured, HUD, or Factory Built homes, please contact the Routt County Regional Building Department directly or visit our website.

What is Required for Tiny Homes on Wheels?  Motor Vehicles (DMV Registered): One way to construct and use a tiny house is as an ANSI-RVIA vehicle (RV) that is registered as a motor vehicle with the DMV. This requires that the unit is licensed and self-contained. The unit must also remain on the wheels and obtain its support from the wheels and chassis jacks. Blocks and tie-downs are not allowed under a motor vehicle. Any electrical, water or sewer hook-ups must meet the requirements of the currently adopted codes and the regulations set forth by the authorities having jurisdiction over these matters, such as, but not limited to, the local Utility Department, the Health Department, or the State of Colorado. A Building Permit is not required through the PPRBD for a motor vehicle. Permits may be required for electrical, gas and plumbing connections.

Other Important Considerations: The Planning and Zoning, Sanitation, Electric, and Water authorities having jurisdiction over the parcel of land being used all need to be contacted regarding the specific type of Building or RV being proposed prior to installation, construction, or parking. There may be differences in the applicable regulations regarding each different type of building or RV. For example, an RV or Tiny Home on Wheels may have a time limit on how long it can be parked, or where it can be parked, or if you can live it while it’s parked. It’s the responsibility of the applicant/owner before building, setting, or parking any permanent or temporary structure including those on wheels to be sure it’s within compliance of the Local Authority Having Jurisdiction.

Key Contacts

Routt County Regional Building Department (Building Permits)
136 6th Street, Ste 201
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
(970) 870-5566

Routt County Planning Department (Valid & Legal Access)
(970) 879-2704

Routt County Environmental Health (Wastewater: black & grey)
(970) 870-5588

Division of Water Resources (Water Provisions)
(970) 879-0272


Source: www.co.routt.co.us

Updated:  February 2021 – Loran

THIA will be constantly updating the legislation data. Check back often. Suggest A Correction if you are aware of any missing or incorrect information. AND keep scrolling to learn more about getting guidance.



Building Code — Legislation that speaks to how to construct a tiny house.

Zoning Code — Legislation that speaks to how the lot will be used.


ADU — Accessory Dwelling Unit

DMV — Division of Motor Vehicles

IB — Industrialized Buildings

IRC — International Residential Code

PUD — Planned Unit Development

RV — Recreational Vehicle

SF — Single Family Dwelling

T — Transitional Housing

UDO — Unified Development Ordinance

Please Suggest a Correction if you find broken links or misinformation.

Help us continue helping you. Join the Movement and become a THIA Member today!

Scroll to Top