Movable Tiny Home as ADU, Primary Unit in certain Zones and Cluster Lot Development

Placer (County), California


Name Movable Tiny Home as ADU, Primary Unit in certain Zones and Cluster Lot Development
Municipality Placer (County)
Zoning Districts Generally, zones that permit Residential Uses
Effective Date 07/14/2022
Municipal Code Section 17.56.400 Moveable Tiny Houses
Code Link
Authority Planning Services Division


Tiny Homes in Placer County

As part of the Housing Related Code Amendments approved in Summer 2022, Placer County has approved movable tiny homes:

  • as ADUs (Accessory Dwelling Units or “Accessory Homes”)
  • as primary units in certain zones
  • in cluster lot developments (“moveable tiny house communities”)

Creation of moveable tiny houses, under Article 17.56, Section 17.56.400 (Moveable Tiny Houses) establishes general regulations to guide the location, design, and development for moveable tiny houses. A tiny house is required to have its own address, either through an electrical permit or through a sewer or septic permit if the tiny house uses solar; and must be licensed by the California Department of Motor Vehicles. It will also have to meet the standards of the base zone, or the standards of an accessory dwelling unit if the tiny house is being used as an accessory home. Based on concerns about design, language was added to mandate design which respects the surrounding neighborhood and does not allow for recreational vehicles or campers to qualify as tiny houses.

Key Contacts

Community Development Resource Agency Planning Services Division

County of Placer

3091 County Center Drive
Auburn, CA 95603





Moveable Tiny Home Permit Checklist

Updated 02/24 – Laura

THIA will be constantly updating the legislation data. Check back often. Suggest A Correction if you are aware of any missing or incorrect information. AND keep scrolling to learn more about getting guidance.



Building Code — Legislation that speaks to how to construct a tiny house.

Zoning Code — Legislation that speaks to how the lot will be used.


ADU — Accessory Dwelling Unit

DMV — Division of Motor Vehicles

IB — Industrialized Buildings

IRC — International Residential Code

PUD — Planned Unit Development

RV — Recreational Vehicle

SF — Single Family Dwelling

T — Transitional Housing

UDO — Unified Development Ordinance

Please Suggest a Correction if you find broken links or misinformation.

Help us continue helping you. Join the Movement and become a THIA Member today!

Scroll to Top